Profile

My photo
Just another anime enthusiast.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Anime North 2010

Unfortunately, I was not at Anime North 2010 which took place during May 28-30, 2010. However, my friends went and took pictures in my place. I will post a link to the picasa gallery.
Updated August 19, 2010.

From what I could tell from asking them, it was pretty much the same as the previous years. Perhaps not as good. During Anime North 2008 and 2009, those same friends and I would go on all 3 days, but this time, they only went on Friday and Saturday. But they claimed to have been "sick" (flu-kind or bored-kind, I don't know). But its fine.

I personally don't know whats there to do at anime conventions anymore. As you all have already realized, I do my shopping online at one or more of the links on the side of the blog. Those sites provide much more recent figures with a good state of mind that you don't get fake products unlike here. Also, the prices are not that different after considering shipping and other fees. Though, at places like Anime North, there are a bunch of vendors (alot more than G-Anime), so the chances of discounts are higher (competition). And also, because you can bargain for lower prices. But generally, the prices don't vary say more then $20 CDN. Some stuff you can get dirt cheap at anime conventions though (like wallscrolls, wallpapers, and old figurines).

Mainly because I heard that most wallscrolls you buy which are cheap, are not "real". Or in otherwords, someone had a printer and took a high quality picture and printed it out. How I know this? I asked some vendors, also, I've been to danbooru often, I have a good idea on whether the wallscroll picture is real or not.

Here is something to help you with that (although not 100% correct, nothing ever is).
- Generally real wallscrolls would only use official art from a series. If the picture looks like a fan art, its most likely printed by someone else other than official manufacturer.

- The feel for scroll texture feels more paper-like for the fake wallscroll as opposed to fabric-like

However, that is not to say the least my friends didn't have fun. They went on a shopping spree, one of them spent around $150 CDN. They also took alot of pictures.

I heard there were Touhou goods (not just the games) at Anime North. Whether its true or not, when I asked my friends about the details, they couldn't give me much details about it. But thats fine, I already found a vendor for my Touhou needs.

Gallery: Here

Updated: Second Gallery: Here (Thanks Jonathan)
Ooooh, Remilia!! (wikia)

1 comment:

  1. Fun and interesting....many many people, they dress wonderful clothes.

    ReplyDelete