Profile

My photo
Just another anime enthusiast.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

[Bandai] GP-01 PG Gundam Model Review

I recently finished building the PG GP01 Gundam Model from Bandai. It took far longer than expected because I had many things tied to my hands, making me unable to work diligently on it. But it is completed now and I am able to give a 80% review. Updated

Perhaps thats why it took so long ;o

The reason why I can't give the full review yet is because there is one last thing I have to do first. That is, the transformation from GP01 to GP01-Fb. Although it is theoretically possible, there may be problems which hinder the actual process.
Also, I would like to put decals on atleast the GP01-Fb parts and take some pictures. That will be the first time I've ever done decals.
First of all, there were an INCREDIBLE number of pieces on this thing. I don't seem to have any pictures of the box, but it came with a large box which had a handle. Upon opening it, you would have 2 boxes around the size of the MG Hi-Nu gundam. There are 2 booklets for this model also. One was for construction, the other had details about the gundam and where to put the decals. There are lots of pieces of parts and lots of screws also! That helps to hold parts together. There are springs also. As far as I could remember master grades don't offer such complexity. The MG Shinaju does offer 2 springs (for the belt), but thats about it. All in all, this model does offer you great amount of joy with the abundance of things to build.

Listing them all, they are,- Head
- Body
- GP01 exterior
- GP01-Fb exterior
- Arm- GP01 shoulder
- GP01-Fb shoulder
- Waist
- GP01 exterior
- GP01-Fb exterior
- Leg
- GP01 exterior
- GP01-Fb exterior
- Core fighter- Beam rifle
- Machine gun
- Shield
- Beam saber x 4
- Maintenance rack
- Wheels x 6
- Missiles x 2
It sounds like alot of things, below is a picture of what the finished product looks like (excluding one piece pilot or other people)
Yes, the background has a MG Exia Ignition Mode, its my bro's.

The joints feel solid and doesn't feel like giving way anytime soon. Which is pretty good because this model is old (Nov 2003). Probably the only reason why I was able to get it for 5000 yen (roughly $50USD). I had another old gundam, a MG ZZ Gundam. The hands couldn't hold the weapons. Maybe the weapon was too big, or maybe the joints were bad. Either way, it was a terrible model.

The details and complexity were noticeably good. Many of the parts, hands, head, body, legs, they all had parts you could open up. Notice the pictures below.

Before

After

Quite different, wouldn't you say?

At this point there isn't really anything thats bad about the model. The only thing I didn't like being the transforming part. I found the torso piece was difficult to place into the rest of the Gundam. Also, when I was opening all the "armor plating" or something in the above picture, some pieces would actually come off! I think the transforming part should be more sturdy (Unless I'm doing it wrong). But otherwise, the model is great. I looked at the decals, theres only 1 sheet of it, I thought that wasn't very much. But we'll see later when I finish the final touches. I also want to do panel lines, except I don't have a fine marker.

Oh..!
I thought of something else, there were no stickers !! D=
I've always thought I was pro with stickers as seen on the Shinaju (All the gold lines on the model)

I am quite happy with my first PG. I will definitely build another should the opportunity arise!

Gallery: Here

Update:
As this was my first time putting on decals on any Gundam, I didn't find it too difficult. Except in the cases of larger decals, the result didn't turn out too great. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong though.

Some of the decals are easily seen (shoulders and cockpit), others are more hidden and blends into model.

Here are some before and after pictures.

Before decals.


After decals

On a completely different train of thought, the transformation between the configuration wasn't too difficult. The book neatly laid out the steps required. And without any difficulties the new parts were easily swapped. Great!

Though the GP01-Fb torso cover along with the head and arms are pretty loosely attached to the actual torso. It is held on by only 2 connections. It is easily removed by holding the Gundam still and sliding the torso forward.

But the presentation in the end is what really matters for me. I probably won't pose it more than I have already.

I give this model 4/5.

Pros:
- Sophisticated/complex
- Lots to build/per cost
- Strong joints
- Low difficulty

Cons:
- Transformation could be better
- Lack of stickers and rub on decal

Part 2 Gallery: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment