Profile

My photo
Just another anime enthusiast.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

[OverDrive] KiraKira Visual Novel Review

Since figurines just don't arrive fast enough... or rather, I don't buy enough to keep the blog updated regularly, I decided to start reviewing something else. Although most of the people I know tells me if I'm doing a Japanese hobby blog, why not review anime? Well, that takes alot of effort... I don't know if I can make myself do it. However, visual novels are long, and unlike an episode, they are also less frequent. So I don't have to write too much. Also, I don't know how to upload those pictures which has a screen capture every so many seconds.

So without further ado, let us begin.

Where should I begin... how about at where you can find it? This wasn't a fan sub like some other ones you might have played. You can find it at MangaGamer. There is an all age version, and also an adult (NSFW) version. I played the adult version and I have no idea what changed in the all age version. Therefore, you could say what I played was an eroge.

The Game cover

However I prefer the story over the hentai scenes (H-scenes for short). These scenes are mainly the "making love" part in somebody's life, and any sort of teasing or preparation before that... I want to try to keep this post as family friendly as possible so I am trying to avoid using some words... But as you can see, its very difficult.

I am sure that the MangaGamer site provided a good synposis of what this visual novel was about. But I will write that in my own words, it might be a bit of a spoiler though, so please skip the following paragraph if you feel put off at playing this game after being spoiled.

*Takes a deep breath*
You are a male student at Oubi Academy, a school that provide a very laid back atmosphere for students, one such that promote self learning and self motivation. Your name is Shikanosuke Maejima. You belong to the second literature club at the school as a "ghost member" (one who never shows up). At the start of the game, you break up with your existing girl friend after (undiscussed) disputes and is hurt badly. You work at a restaurant and save up your money for a trip to travel the world because you do not have any thing you wish to spend money on. However, on one of the days of work, you meet a short girl who also wore an Oubi Academy uniform. Her name is Shiino Kirari. She mentions that the club was going to be disassembled at the end of the year because of lack of members and activities (Also, there is a first literature club). Feeling sad, you attend one of the meetings and met the other 2 girls in this story, Kashiwara Sarina and Isurugi Chie. Sarina is a rich girl who has a very refined and calm personality. She is also very quiet and does not tend to speak her mind. She also suffers from an uncurable disease. On the other hand Chie has been Maejima's childhood friend for many years. Unlike Sarina, she likes to tease Maejima for all the little things he does. She has a dark history with her family (ie. Divorce). The plot began not too long after the start of the game, when Maejima tried to stop a dispute in the restaurant and gets knocked out. He was then given 2 tickets to a STAR GENERATION live concert which he went with Shiino. That was the start of the road to being a punk and rock band. It was first suggested by Shiino at the club as a final performance at the cultural festival. However, it was miraculously successful and they decided to go on a Japan tour by car. During this journey you begin to trigger flags and eventually falls in love with one of the 3 girls (amongst other possible "bad" ends).

Main character, Shikanosuke Maejima
Energetic but poor student, Shiino Kirari

Childhood friend, Isurugi Chie

Rich "Ojou-sama", Kashiwara Sarina

But that is the story. Although possibly poorly worded, I believe that should be sufficient without too much spoiler to ruin the game. As for me, I played the route of Kashiwara Sarina because I was taken back by her sweet and calm voice. Normally, I only play the route of the character I want to get to know. Playing twice is ok too (like I did Fate Stay Night), however, many early scenes are recycled even though some choices changed. So I generally dislike playing twice.

Ratings:
Plot: I thought it was very well done. The story could possibly sound real, there are no magic or anything like that. It was something you can relate to. Even if you're not a rocker. The story was also very engaging, it talked about something I personally did not think of, it was "You have to go out and enjoy the world while you're young". I think alot of people, and me included tend to stick closely to education and refusing to take a trip for fun. In this story the 4 friends took matters into their own hands and took a journey. They borrowed a car from another friend, gather up the money they saved and went to wherever they want to go. That is not something I could possibly have done. And I can probably speak for most people that they wouldn't either. I have too many problems with that plan, "What if I got lost", "What do I go if I ran out of money?", "What if...". But in the game, the characters didn't worry about it, "If something goes wrong, we'll think about it then!". Thats the kind of attitude I think not many people have. They had fun on the trip, and although this isn't real (Its just a game), I am envious of them. To me, that gave the story a much bigger impact. The plot was also humourous. I was mainly laughing at the main character and his unhappy reponse to all the bad things that happened to him. The main one being, he had to crossdress as a girl for the duration of the tour. I wasn't really into the "trap" (#3 on urban dictionary) but the pictures of him as a girl looked very real. It was overall really good. But I had wished that the people that they met during the tour who befriended them would come back and make a final grand appearance. It didn't happen. Therefore, the ending was generally boring. It was a happy ending, and I greatly enjoyed the last little bit in Kashiwara's route. However, the last scene right up until the credits, did not go into the couple's future. There was no epilogue either (Unlike Clannad).
4/5

Characters: I probably talked way too much in the plot section so I'll keep the rest simple. The characters were all very loveable with each of them having a story which you would not know unless you were on their root (not 100% sure, I only played 1 route). But I think the general theme of this story behind each character was their families. Sarina had a very sad family member suicide incident. Chie had a family face divorce. Shiino was in a very poor family. The communication between them were also natural and did not feel bizarre.
5/5

Translation: Since I have no idea what visual novels should be ranked by, I'll write about something like their translation. It was generally not bad. The quality though felt like that from a fan sub. As in some of the sentences, I know what it means (because I have a little bit of Japanese understanding), however the subtitles says something different. The problem is not the wording, but information is missing. Also there were a few words that came up again and again. I don't know if its a subtitle problem or maybe the Japanese was written with alot of repetition. "Smiled bitterly" was used alot. I seriously mean ALOT. "Drag" was used alot too to describe Maejima in female clothes.
3/5

CG/HCG: Because this is family friendly, I can't say much at all. But after playing through Sarina's route. I encountered 2 H-scenes with said character as well as 1 H-scene with one of the side characters encountered during the Japan tour. I will assume the other routes would be similar. The CG looks fine, I didn't have anything to dislike or specifically enjoyed. The drawing seemed consistent unlike animes.
4/5
Kirari as vocal and Sarina as guitarist

Overall: I would recommend people to read this visual novel. It is quite long, I didn't time it but I kept thinking it was over, but it wasn't. I find generally visual novels takes a long time to finish. So if you don't have alot of spare time, maybe you wouldn't be interested. But I enjoyed the story and had a great laugh while reading it.
4/5
Maybe after this, I might consider reading more visual novels. If you know a good one, hit me up with a synposis and its name. Thanks!

Image source: MangaGamer

10 comments:

  1. >Maybe after this, I might consider reading more visual novels. If you know a good one, hit me up with a synposis and its name. Thanks!

    I can recommend a number of titles, however what I can recommend depends on if you are willing to play through unofficial fan translations.

    For official commercial releases, generally the best titles are considered Ever17 (may be hard to find these days), Higurashi, and KiraKira which you have just played.

    Ever17 is a story dealing with a group of people who get trapped within an underwater theme park, without contact to the surface and the theme park slowly imploding. This is one of my absolute favorites, and it is the highest ranked title by rating on the visual novel website, vndb.org. Just some advice, do NOT read the wikipedia page, or anywhere else there might be spoilers, as this game has 5 routes, 4 that must be played before the 5th, and then the 5th route everything comes together perfectly, however you do not want to spoil this 5th route.

    Higurashi is being released by MangaGamer, and it is a fantastic horror title. If you have seen the anime, expect a lot more stuff in the VN because the anime had to cut a lot out for time.

    Another good official commercial release would be Yume Miru Kusuri. This is a high school romance with three main girls, who each have their own issues, such as being bullied or a drug problem. It is generally considered to be on of the better titles from Jast.

    I would recommend Edelweiss from MangaGamer as it is by the same company as KiraKira, however it's translation is absolutely horrible, so bad that they are retranslating it right now, and it would be best to wait for the new translation.

    The following are legal translations, but not commercial releases.
    True Remembrance- Has an official free release, and is one of the better games translated into English, surely worth playing

    Umineko no Naku Koro ni- To play it legally, you need to get a copy of the Japanese game, but the English translation is legal and has the approval of the original creator. It is an excellent horror/mystery, especially have the first story arc. If you have seen the anime, it is horrible compared to this original. It is ranked third by rating on vndb.org.


    The following games have unofficial fan translations.
    Sharin no Kuni, One of the best games out there, an excellent drama. It follows the main guy as for part of his testing to become a special high class citizen, he needs to help cancel out "obligations" (penalties for crimes that tell a person something they must do, and they can be killed or sent to concentration camps for violating) of the three main girls. It also has one of my favorite openings, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD0poW3j2Ys .

    Clannad - If you have seen the anime, or have seen other Key anime adaptions, and liked them, you will enjoy this. It is quite long, but probably is the best romance out there. Ranked second on vndb.org.

    Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime are outstanding works by Type Moon. These have more action than the other games here (especially Fate/Stay Night), and are both outstanding. They both have anime adaptions (although the general opinion is there is no Tsukihime anime). Ranked 4th and 6th by rating on vndb.org, although by popularity these are ranked first and second.

    Cross Channel - This is also an excellent title, with a great cast. These people go to a school for basically those who can't fit in with regular society, and it follows them through out this. Just one word of warning, the first week you are with the worse girl, and there is a very large plot twist introduced during the second week, so don't stop before the second week if you choose to play this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'll give those a try. I currently have on my computer one more VN to finish before I can start those. "Wanko to Kurasou". It was recommended to me by a friend. I don't own any pets so I don't know how this one will be like. I generally like romance novels, but I guess every VN has that.

    On another note, I've played Fate/Stay Night and Clannad already. I finished Saber's and Rin's arcs (Good and Best ending for Rin) before stopping. As for Clannad, I only did Kyou. I heard if you complete Clannad many times getting different endings, you will then be able to play Nagisa's after story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I also played True Remembrance, although it was quite long ago so I forgot about it. The story was quite difficult to understand, atleast from what I could remember. I've also read Planetarian ~Reverie of a little planet~ by Key.

    I played a bunch of small visual novels but I don't remember their names. They weren't made by big companies like OverDrive or AkabeiSoft2.

    I remember playing Narcissu also, but I heard there were work on the sequel but I didn't pay much attention to it. So I don't know if it was released or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. >I remember playing Narcissu also, but I heard there were work on the sequel but I didn't pay much attention to it. So I don't know if it was released or not.

    Narcissu 2 was released in English a few months back.

    Clannad is indeed quite long to play through completely, although it's worth it as After Story is awesome. Tomoyo probably had the best route besides After Story. To give a sense of it's size, just look at the size of the walkthrough. http://soukyuu.emevas.net/CLANNAD_guide.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, its hecka long!

    I saw the Clannad Anime, both the original and After Story, does that do justice for the visual novel?

    Also, I found Clannad a bit more difficult in terms of making the right choices to get the "good end". For Kyou's route, I don't know what I did wrong, but it took me many tries to get it. Of course, because I have never used a walkthrough in my life. I just followed my gut feeling, and saved at every choice point, and reload if I got a "bad end".

    KiraKira was quite linear compared to Clannad. Or quite easy.

    I also just googled up Narcissu, apparantely, theres even a 3rd installment. Hahaha... time flies...

    Although it was very touching. I'm not sure if I want to read more stories of suicides... =/

    ReplyDelete
  6. >I saw the Clannad Anime, both the original and After Story, does that do justice for the visual novel?

    Yeah, After Story in particular lived up to the original, one of the very few cases where this can be said.

    >I also just googled up Narcissu, apparantely, theres even a 3rd installment. Hahaha... time flies...

    Yup, though no translation of the third (and to the best of my knowledge no translation is ongoing).

    >Also, I found Clannad a bit more difficult in terms of making the right choices to get the "good end". For Kyou's route, I don't know what I did wrong, but it took me many tries to get it. Of course, because I have never used a walkthrough in my life. I just followed my gut feeling, and saved at every choice point, and reload if I got a "bad end".

    Clannad is one of the more difficult games out there, although there are harder ones. Probably the best example I can think of as a hellish difficulty game would be One, which I have no clue how anyone could ever complete it with a walkthrough as choices that seem to be irrelevant to the route you are on tend to always have an affect, and most of the time "gut feeling" doesn't get you the right answer. KiraKira is one of the easiest non linear games out there. Most Visual Novels in terms of difficulty are harder than KiraKira but easier than Clannad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool. Thats reassuring, I would hate to have to play every VN as if it were Clannad. As good as it was, the number of times I got bad ends were terrible!

    Not as many times are Fate Stay Night though haha. I think there were much more choices in Fate Stay Night. And once you pick the wrong choice you usually die horribly. I didn't like that at all. Too much red bloody screens. orz
    Good story though. As far as I can remember. Loved how Shirou turns powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Not as many times are Fate Stay Night though haha. I think there were much more choices in Fate Stay Night. And once you pick the wrong choice you usually die horribly. I didn't like that at all. Too much red bloody screens. orz
    Good story though. As far as I can remember. Loved how Shirou turns powerful. "

    A total of 40 bad endings, although for TypeMoon games, the general rule is that the more dangerous a choice is, the more likely it will let you live. For games with a lot of bad endings though (or just strict requirements for a good ending), generally you will run into a ton of bad endings unless you are lucky, or are using a walkthrough.

    Personally I like F/SN type bad endings, where they give you the bad end right there, so it is nothing more than going back one save, and it is nice to be able to see all the ways you can be killed. Much nicer than bad endings where you only get the bad end near the end of the game, and then need to go through the full game again and figure out where you messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with that. Kirakira also had this so. I saved then picked something and expected to lose, and it happened. So far I think the only game, which wasn't like this was Clannad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm...I think you should play Kirari's route before reviewing the ending. It's pretty different with other ends. AFAIK Kashiwara's route is the worst of four :D

    ReplyDelete