Profile

My photo
Just another anime enthusiast.

Monday, May 3, 2010

[Griffon Enterprises] Flandre Scarlet PVC Figure Review

While at home for the past week, I was able to take photos and inspect this figure thoroughly (aside other things, here and here). Full review of the figure Flandre Scarlet by Griffon Enterprises below.

Lets start off with here I got this and at what cost. I paid 6560 yen which was equivalent to $74.78 CDN at the time of purchase. I had put in a preorder request at Amiami months in advance because I wanted it alot. (More about purchasing with Amiami here). I will point out in the gallery link at the end of the post, you can see the type of packaging Amiami uses.

On with the actual product.

First of all, the picture on the box, in my opinion, looks terrible, and at first I thought the figure itself was bad also. But when I opened it, that wasn't the case. The box itself and the plastic packaging in the box was no surprise to anyone. I hadn't expected it to be either.

The base looks normal also. I will point out a specific detail to the base though. I personally thought nothing of it except maybe a little smile at how neat it was. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Look harder!
HARDER !!
...
<-- Click But that is such a small thing, can't possibly use that as an excuse to say whether its good or not. So lets move on. Lets talk about the Lævateinn... if you're a Touhou fan, you should automatically know what it is (or maybe if you know a little about Flandre, you would know). To put bluntly, its her weapon. You know how shes kinda crazy and likes to kill everyone? That "double-edged trident" is PRETTY DAMN SHARP! You can seriously hurt someone! And I kid you not. Its comparable to a toothpick, and probably even sharper. I poked myself cause I wasn't careful.

Who thought owning figurines wouldn't hurt?

That hat and the rest of the figure can be blended together, since there was nothing unique about the hat which deserved its own analysis. I found the figure to be very well coloured, atleast in regards to the shading. The pose is also very dynamic and strikes you nearly instantly. (I don't really like dull figurines where they're just standing there to look pretty). There are some imperfections to be seen in the close up pictures. But those are understandable.

I should mention, the hat, like Marisa's, does not magnetically clip on like the Hiyori Pixie's pumpkin hat, but despite this, it is very easy to put on and once on it doesn't wiggle on the head.

The clothing on this figure looks top notch, just like Marisa's. The shading on the skirt successfully captures the motion that it is taking. I would even say Griffon Enterprises does the best shading jobs that I've seen in all the figures I own.

Lastly, I should mention the wings (OMG!). It was one of the main reasons why I bought it, Flandre Scarlet is cool, but everyone has their charm points. For sure, it has to be her wings (unless you're attached to her destructive aura, which is perfectly fine, whatever floats your boat). But the wings were very well done. Very clean. Best of all, it doesn't feel flimsy like it will break from simply blowing at it. I applied some force on the "jewels" to see if it was poorly built, but it held sturdy. I am going to see what happens when I shine light on it, I wonder if it'll reflect in different directions like a precious gem. (Probably not, since its PVC, polyvinyl chloride, some unreactive material). Sadly, again some imperfection can be seen, its not a big deal, but theres a droplet of red paint on the orange jewel. (>:)

I would surely recommend this to both Touhou fans and to people who likes to collect quality figures. Of course, I have never actually built one myself (I'm referring to those resin kits where it comes unpainted and unbuilt). I think it might be fun to buy one someday and attempt to build/paint it. But if I don't even paint my Gundams, how can I succeed in painting a figurine?!

Oh well, thats another story.

And there you have it, my take on what tries to be a review for a figure.

On a closing note, it was made in China.
...
...
Is it still worth buying? The quality of one does not equal the quality of all.

Gallery: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment