Profile

My photo
Just another anime enthusiast.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

[Bandai] Unicorn Gundam Review

After a long break on my part, I finally gotten myself together to writing an entry about something that happened about a month ago. The completion of the Unicorn Gundam by Bandai.

Full review below.

I know in the past the reviews (if they were called that was rather sloppy) had very little information, so I will try to fix that. Though, when writing posts like this, I write as I go and I try to think back or look at the product that was formed. Since I didn't take notes when building the model, its likely that some details would have been missed. But on with the review.

First of all, I love this Gundam, not only because its from Universal Centry (UC), but its White.. AND Red! I am also watching the Unicorn Gundam OVAs.

Similar to all the other models I've built thus far, decals were not placed (and for this I have no excuse, its not difficult, but for some reason I chose to neglect it. Sorry). I try my best for all the sticker work (and am proud of it).

The eyes on Unicorn, like all other gundams are done with a green metallic coated sticker. Same with this Unicorn's horns. And that green light on top of the head. Gundams have surprisingly small stickers for small parts. I was quite shocked when I built my 2nd Gundam that I would be pretty good at installing stickers.
The details are as you expect from a Gundam, nothing too outstanding there. Though the design was lovely. When you're building it, the model seems tough (and by all means, it is... until you want to DESTROY).

I would apologize for the lack of pictures, although I enjoy building them, I am discontent for posing them. I have my reasons for doing it. And those reasons were justified in the past.
1. From moving the joints, they become weak and lose the ability to maintain form.
2. They may break.
3. Parts are lost

And especially for the Unicorn, in its Destroy mode, its flimsy at best. Because most of the colour is hidden when its being built (meaning, to expose it, you're litterally expanding the armor, which causes empty space to fill the insides of the model, and empty space = bad support). It results in.
1. Taller model
2. More prone to breaking
3. RED HAWTNESS

Overall, I loved this model, both building it and looking at it. The red definitely defines this Gundam well. Its not Unicorn if theres no red. The colour contrast looks amazing. The arsenal is adequet.

Though on a downside, the transformation is not the easiest thing to do. It may have been just my model kit or maybe the way I built it (though I followed the instructions to the book). My model had a little problem with the transformation of the knee cap. The instructions said I just had to pull and that was it, however, I pulled and pulled and nothing happened. So I opened up the leg (it was surprisingly easy) then set it into the position of the transformed look, then built it back together. The problem was, the pathway for sliding the hinge was too narrow, causing it to jam half-way. A solution could have been to sandpaper or file it, but if you did too much then it would become loose and the effects would have been devastating. My friend who also owned a Unicorn Gundam (but metallic version), also encountered a problem with the kit, different problem than mine, and also fixable. Perhaps we were unlucky, or maybe the quality control for this batch was snoozing.

I took pictures of the previous model, Shinaju with Unicorn because they're from the same series. Which was the main reason why I bought this. Even though, the looks of this Gundam is so good too!

Gallery: Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment